Tuesday, December 15, 2009

FORM FOLLOW FUNCTION

From the topic that I pick up this week is a famous quote that many try to use as the concept of their architecture; however, to define the exactly meaning of them is become problematic. As I did a research, the description of ‘FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION’ in WIKI is a principle associated with modern architecture and inductrial design in the 20th century. The principle is that the shape of a building or object should be primarily based upon its intended function or purpose. In my point of view, there are a lot of potential of using ‘form follows function’, such as, the clearly space planning and the nicely access of the building, however, this may effect to the form outside which may not good in the outside facade. It is more formalistic.
Seattle Central Library by Rem Koolhaas and OMA
Another quote that I focus on is from the lecture, WORDs CAN BECOME ORNAMENT. In this quote make me realize of EVERYTHING is EVERYTHING. I think of the thing that we just let it out from our mouth can be inspire as an ornament.

Vitra Design Museum by Frank Gehry, Weil am Rhein





No comments:

Post a Comment